A substantial body of evidence supports mouth rinses’ role in plaque reduction
A substantial body of evidence over the last 20 years demonstrates the efficacy of an effective mouth rinse – data shown are for the essential oils mouth rinse LISTERINE® – in reducing plaque.
A summary of published long-term randomised, controlled, double-blinded clinical trials with LISTERINE over the past 20 years1–9
The efficacy range across these clinical trials may be due to the variability in populations, examiners and trial designs, including indices and compliance.
- Overholser CD et al. Comparative effects of two chemotherapeutic mouthrinses on the development of plaque and gingivitis. J Clin Periodont 1990; 17: 575–579.
- Charles C et al. Comparative efficacy of an antiseptic mouthrinse and an antiplaque/antigingivitis dentifrice. A six-month clinical trial. J Am Dent Assoc 2001; 132: 670–675.
- Sharma NC et al. Comparative effectiveness of an essential oil mouthrinse and dental floss in controlling interproximal gingivitis and plaque. Am J Dent 2002; 15: 351–355.
- Bauroth K et al. The efficacy of an essential oil antiseptic mouthrinse vs. dental floss in controlling interproximal gingivitis: a comparative study. J Am Dent Assoc 2003; 134: 359–365.
- Sharma NC et al. Adjunctive benefit of an essential oil containing mouthrinse in reducing plaque and gingivitis in patients who brush and floss regularly. A six-month study. J Am Dent Assoc 2004; 135: 496–504.
- Charles CH et al. Comparative antiplaque and antigingivitis effectiveness of a chlorhexidine and an essential oil mouthrinse: 6-month clinical trial. J Clin Periodont 2004; 31(10): 878–884.
- Tufekci E et al. Effectiveness of an essential oil mouthrinse in improving oral health in orthodontic patients. Angle Orthod 2008; 78(2): 294–298.
- Sharma NC et al. Superiority of an essential oil mouthrinse when compared with a 0.05% cetylpyridinium chloride containing mouthrinse: a six-month study. Int Dent J 2010; 60(3): 175–180.
- Cortelli et al. Comparative antiplaque and antigingivitis efficacy of a multipurpose essential oil-containing mouthrinse and a cetylpyridinium chloride-containing mouthrinse: A 6-month randomized clinical trial. Quintessence Int 2012; 43(7): e82–94.