THE ANTIMICROBIAL EFFICACY OF LISTERINE®
The antimicrobial efficacy of LISTERINE®
The essential oils in LISTERINE® have a range of antimicrobial activities
• Non-specific mechanism of action, killing bacteria by disruption of cell walls1
• Broad antimicrobial effects (aerobes, anaerobes, Gram-negative and Gram-positive organisms and yeasts)1–4
• Reduces bacterial endotoxins and plaque pathogenicity5,6
• Penetrates plaque biofilm7,8
• Antibacterial activity (slowing re-colonisation) continues after rinsing2,4,9
• No shift in oral microbial flora that might favour growth of opportunistic species10
Such a mode of action delivers a broad spectrum of antimicrobial kill, across Gram-positive and -negative bacteria.
Spectrum of kill of LISTERINE® 11
- Kubert D et al. Antiseptic mouthrinse-induced microbial cell surface alterations. Am J Dent 1993; 6: 277–279.
- Pitts G et al. Mechanism of action of an antiseptic, anti-odor mouthwash. J Dent Res 1983; 62: 738–742.
- Ross NM et al. Long-term effects of LISTERINE antiseptic on dental plaque and gingivitis. J Clin Dent 1989; 1: 92–95.
- DePaola LG et al. Effect of an antiseptic mouthrinse on salivary microbiota. Am J Dent 1996; 9: 93–95.
- Fine DH et al. Effects of sublethal exposure to an antiseptic mouthrinse on representative plaque bacteria. J Clin Periodont 1996; 23: 444–451.
- Fine DH et al. The effect of rinsing with LISTERINE antiseptic on the properties of developing dental plaque. J Clin Periodont1985; 12: 660–666.
- Pan P et al. Determination of the in situ bactericidal activity of an essential oil mouthrinse using a vital stain method. J Clin Periodont 2000; 27: 256–261.
- Fine DH et al. Comparative antimicrobial activities of antiseptic mouthrinses against isogenic planktonic and biofilm forms of Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans. J Clin Periodont 2001; 28: 697–700.
- Jenkins S et al. The magnitude and duration of the effects of some mouthrinse products on salivary bacterial counts. J Clin Periodont 1994; 21: 397–401.
- Minah GE et al. Effects of 6 months use of an antiseptic mouth rinse on supragingival dental plaque microflora. J Clin Periodont 1989; 16: 347–352.
- Data on file A, McNEIL-PPC, Inc.