The efficacy range across these clinical trials may be due to the variability in populations, examiners and trial designs, including indices and compliance.
- Overholser CD et al. Comparative effects of two chemotherapeutic mouthrinses on the development of plaque and gingivitis. J Clin Periodont 1990; 17: 575–579.
- Charles C et al. Comparative efficacy of an antiseptic mouthrinse and an antiplaque/antigingivitis dentifrice. A six-month clinical trial. J Am Dent Assoc 2001; 132: 670–675.
- Sharma NC et al. Comparative effectiveness of an essential oil mouthrinse and dental floss in controlling interproximal gingivitis and plaque. Am J Dent 2002; 15: 351–355.
- Bauroth K et al. The efficacy of an essential oil antiseptic mouthrinse vs. dental floss in controlling interproximal gingivitis: a comparative study. J Am Dent Assoc 2003; 134: 359–365.
- Sharma NC et al. Adjunctive benefit of an essential oil containing mouthrinse in reducing plaque and gingivitis in patients who brush and floss regularly. A six-month study. J Am Dent Assoc 2004; 135: 496–504.
- Charles CH et al. Comparative antiplaque and antigingivitis effectiveness of a chlorhexidine and an essential oil mouthrinse: 6-month clinical trial. J Clin Periodont 2004; 31(10): 878–884.
- Tufekci E et al. Effectiveness of an essential oil mouthrinse in improving oral health in orthodontic patients. Angle Orthod 2008; 78(2): 294–298.
- Sharma NC et al. Superiority of an essential oil mouthrinse when compared with a 0.05% cetylpyridinium chloride containing mouthrinse: a six-month study. Int Dent J 2010;60(3): 175–180.
- Cortelli et al. Comparative antiplaque and antigingivitis efficacy of a multipurpose essential oil-containing mouthrinse and a cetylpyridinium chloride-containing mouthrinse: A 6-month randomized clinical trial. Quintessence Int 2012; 43(7): e82–94.